To use HMRC’s online systems for viewing, submitting and paying your tax, you’ll need a number of different items – the majority of which can be obtained online through their website.
- Firstly, you’ll need to register with HMRC for Self Assessment using form SA1. You can complete this online.
- Wait. A printed copy will be sent to you in the post, and you’ll need to complete the final details, and sign the form. Finally, you’ll need to send this back to HMRC for processing
- Within 8 weeks, you’ll receive your UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) Number. You’ll need to activate this online within 28 days of receiving the code – if you miss this, you’ll need to start again at step 1.
- Once you’ve logged into the HMRC system, you’ll find an option on the left hand side ‘Services you can add’ where you can subscribe to Self Assessment.
Hint: Keep your HMRC User ID, Password and UTR in a safe place.
Lost your UTR?
- You can now find your UTR Online in your Personal Tax Account