1. Home
  2. HMRC Online Account
  3. Tax overpayments and refunds from HMRC

Tax overpayments and refunds from HMRC

If you’ve paid too much tax to HMRC, either through employment or self employment, you may receive a refund notification from HMRC. This is usually called a P800.

You may have seen the scam emails, phone calls and other attempts by scammers to intercept your payment details and commit fraud. HMRC never emails or telephones people with details of tax overpayments or refunds – you’ll only receive a P800 from them.
To be totally sure if you’re due a refund – before you provide any bank details – you can check your account status through your secure HMRC Personal Tax Account

1. Login to your Personal Tax Account

2. Verify using one of the methods listed

3. Once verified, on the home screen choose ‘Self Assessment’

4. On the Self Assessment screen, choose ‘More Self Assessment Details’ (shown in purple text below)

5. Select ‘Request a repayment‘ from the right hand side list

If a refund is due on your account, you’ll find the information in your Personal Tax Account.

Should you need to contact HMRC – only ever use their official channels: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/self-assessment#

Updated on May 21, 2021

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Leave a Comment