1. Home
  2. Getting Started
  3. When do I need to submit my Tax Return by?

When do I need to submit my Tax Return by?

Once registered as self employed, HMRC will write to you in April/May to request completion of your SA100 Self Assessment Tax Return. However, if you don’t receive a letter, you’ll need to still complete a return.

What is a Tax Year?

‘Tax Years’ run from 6 April – 5 April the following year.

The table below shows recent tax years, and the deadlines for online submission and payment of your taxes.

*The deadline date is when you must pay all tax which is due, including any national insurance contributions and the first Payment on Account (if applicable).


Claire began her self employment on 23 August 2022

This falls within the 2022/23 financial year (6 April 2022 – 5 April 2023)

She must complete her tax return and pay any tax, national insurance and her first payment on account (if applicable) by the 31 January 2024.

MalgraBooks: Our Advanced and Premium services includes SA100 Tax Return preparation, and we can even submit your tax return for you.

Updated on February 17, 2023
Was this article helpful?