1. Home
  2. Expenses
  3. Legal and Professional Charges

Legal and Professional Charges

During your self employment, it is possible that you will need to consider legal and professional charges.

This page looks at:

  • Professional Fees
  • Information Commissioner’s Office – ICO Annual Registration Fee
  • Insurance Policies


Professional Fees

During your self employment, you may consider hiring a professional to give advice, such as an accountant. Any fees which they charge for business purposes can be claimed as a business expense.

If you use an accountant to do your tax return, their fee would be added to the next years’ tax return.


Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) Annual Registration Fee

As a consultant, you will need to be registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). This charge can be claimed as an expense – without it, your business legally cannot operate.



Insurance Policies

You can claim for insurance policies or charges which are wholly for your business.

These could include:

  • Payments for Slimming World Insurance (St Benedicts Insurance)
  • Mobile Phone insurance (Slimming World phone only)
Updated on September 19, 2017

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Leave a Comment